<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d32465283\x26blogName\x3dpilgrim+lutheran+lents\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pilgrimlutheranlents.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pilgrimlutheranlents.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1708970050712071059', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

pilgrim lutheran lents

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ask the Pastor a Question

If you could ask any question about God, Christianity, religion, faith, spirituality,the Bible, different churches, history, theology (theo=God, ology=study) what would you ask?

As a clergy type, I have an undergraduate degree in Social Work (BSW), from the University of Montana, Missoula and a 4 year (full time 12cr/sem) Masters of Divinity (MDIV) from Luther Seminary in St. Paul, MN. Although I have all these letters behind my name, I don't consider myself to be very academic, especially since I was also a high school drop out and didn't figure out that I might be smart until I had to learn Greek at the Seminary (my first class -- yikes!). I did fairly well at the Seminary, however, I still can't spell to save my life, and I will never remember the names of all the old dead philosephers and theologians that I was suppose to have learned about.

So with that in mind I invite you to ask your questions. I will do my best to answer, and/or find the answers you seek. Although, I must also warn you that often times there is no concrete answer to be had, rather the answers we seek or need reveal themselves when we are willing to openly and honestly explore the questions.

10 Comments:

  • Congratulations on your new blog!
    Julie Mankin,
    Communication Coordinator,
    Oregon Synod

    By Blogger communicator, at 1:44 PM  

  • Congrats! It looks good and I will check it out from time to time.
    Blessings
    Pastor Glenn

    By Blogger Pastor Glenn, at 1:50 PM  

  • Cool, Jeana-marie. I hope your witness and work continue to make a difference in the neighborhood,for Christ's sake.
    Peace
    Pastor Joan B.

    By Blogger Joan B, at 11:53 PM  

  • So which is it, forever in heaven with God, or 1,000 year rein on earth with Jesus?

    By Blogger dogs digs, at 7:39 PM  

  • I would think the trinity would be Father, Mother, Holy Son. Most all of creation is based on this model. If GOD created us in his image, then when did the "ghost" replace the image of "mother"

    By Blogger dogs digs, at 7:54 PM  

  • Hi Dogs Dig: I'm not sure the question "forever in heaven or 1000 w/ Jesus on earth" but if your asking me my choice, I'd say forever w/God -- since they are one I'd get both.

    And as for the Trinity question -- it is good -- truth be told, and it often isn't "Spirit" or the words used for Spirit in both Hebrew & Greek, the original languages of the Bible, are all feminan in gender -- "wind" "breath" "fire" "spirit" -- and Proverbs refers to "Wisdom" also a term used to refer to God's Spirit with female pronouns. I don't know that "ghost" ever replaced "mother" -- mother always refered to Mary -- Jesus' mother, as far as I know, and she was human, not devine -- Holy to be sure, but only human. However, there are a number of references to God as acting the mothering part, such as one refrence of a hen gathering and protecting her chicks under her wings.

    Thanks for the input!

    By Blogger pastorgypsyqueen, at 11:12 AM  

  • Who put together the first bible? How were the books chosen from all the different writings of the times?

    By Blogger dogs digs, at 7:50 PM  

  • Hi again Dogs Digs,

    The easiest way to answer your qustion is to say that the "canon" (a set of works recognized as authoritative within the church) was chosen by a flip of a coin -- so to speak. There are a number of books out that will go into the detail about how the Holy Bible was compiled in its current form, however, even in its "current" form there are differences depending on the denomination.

    For instance the "Old Testament" or as many of my Jewish friends say "1st Testament" was compiled completely seperate from those texts refering to the Life Jesus and his followers. For Jesus time and the time of the first church when one refered to the "scripture" you were refering to the Tora (the 5 books of the law starting with Genesis) and most likely the more significant of the prophets, such as Isaiah, Jeremiah and Amos.

    As for the New Testesment, well that changed over time in the beginning as well. How the works were chosen seems mostly to do with how well they were recognized, rather than for any sense of authority. It was assumed that to be recognized was to have authority. There were a number of works left out of the final cut, because, although they had been recognized in parts of the church they were not in recognized other parts.

    We are not really given the "who" of those working on the "canon committee." Except one of my history texts (Christian Thrology; An Introduction 2nd ed.) tells us that Athanasius in the year 367 sent out a leter recognizing the current most common 27 writtings as being inspired Scripture.

    By Blogger pastorgypsyqueen, at 4:16 PM  

  • I wish dates were added to the Blog. And, you're right, you still cannot spell; but o well.
    My question for some time now has been, "What is God?"

    sheldav

    By Blogger S. Davis, at 10:41 PM  

  • I am trying to locate a Jeane-marie Fiumefreddo who lost a brother in 1995/Missoula MT.

    By Blogger DeeAnn, at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home